Friday, May 14, 2010

Trash to Treasure Lamps

(the base isn't attached yet. I just have it sitting on my iron Eiffel tower for the pic)
I inherited these sad lamps from our neighbors while we helped them move. We were taking a load of stuff to Goodwill for them, and they offered for us to keep anything we could use. I really needed some more lighting in my living room, so I decided to take the lamps with the plan of buying new shades. There was nothing wrong with them except the shades. One was a floor lamp with an attached side table. Somehow, they had gotten too hot and the shade itself had shrunk. After several trips to Lowe's and other stores, I could never decide on what look I wanted. I really liked the handmade, boutique style shades I had just seen in Milton while shopping with Bill on our Anniversary. Only problem was, a.) they weren't exactly what I was looking for. They were close, but not quite there. And b.) expensive as all get out!...Fast forward to today, I'm sitting on my couch thinking about how necessity is indeed the mother of invention. I went and dug out my stash of vintage lace my Aunt gave me last year and some silk roses that could easily be replaced. Hmmmmm.... I see the wheels turning faster and faster....Where's my glue gun??!? ...........


What do you think? Should I paint the base? I don't know what color I'd want it though. Suggestions?

So, there you have it! I love them now!! Today was very satisfying. Not only did I get my "Boutique-quality" handmade shades, it didn't cost me a cent! Yep, I'm a happy girl.

hugs!
Lori

1 comment:

  1. Don't you love it when you have something laying around the house you can use!! Your lamp looks so pretty! Great job! I like it with the silver base but cream or brown would be nice too. It looks great just like it is!

    ReplyDelete